4.12.2012

Overdosing on Lavender (and other birthday happenings)

Earlier this week it was my birthday. So I took the day off from work, as did Tim, and we spent the day together roaming around Cincinnati to see what kind of birthday adventures I could get into.

After sleeping in a little, and running some errands that morning, I was ready for an awesome lunch. I had a few favorite restaurants in mind but because they were all closed for lunch, I had to pick something else (something new!).  I looked at Urban Spoon reviews while Tim was in the shower and decided on Senate. (I just felt like the Lobster BLT was calling my name. And, indeed it was!)



 We split the truffle fries as an appetizer. They were delicious.  Just the right amount of truffle oil. Tim got the "Brussel Simmons" which was the Hot Dog of the Day -- an all-beef hot dog covered in a cheese sauce, cauliflower and what else? Brussel sprouts. Right up Tim's alley.  (Senate is known for their clever monikers by the way.)




And then I got the Lobster BLT.  Why is there no picture of said sandwich?  Because I pretty much devoured it the second the server set it down. I cannot adequately describe to you the deliciousness of this sandwich. You just have to try it yourself.

Oh! I almost forgot! I had a delightful little cocktail with lunch called Kitten Fizz. Kind of a girly drink but very tasty. (Photo courtesy of my Instagram stream. Feel free to follow me:  @livvielane)





After lunch, we drove to my favorite little bakery downtown Skirtz and Johnston (in Findlay Market) for a proper birthday dessert. I couldn't decide so I got two things:  carrot cake bread pudding and red velvet cupcake.  Again, I only have a picture of one because the other is already devoured. Unfortunately, the decorative icing got a little smushed while traveling home but that's okay! 



Well, what other birthday food goes with cake?  Ice cream of course! (Or gelato, if that's nearby.) So we walked over to Dojo Gelato (also in Findlay Market) and perused the selection. I decided on a small cup of Lavender and Honey. Let me just say in times past, I've had other versions of Lavender and Honey gelato and they were lovely. However, the Dojo version of L and H gelato was SO strong. The lavender was very overwhelming. The lavender to honey ratio had to be 20 to 1 or something crazy. But, I reeeeeeeally wanted gelato and I didn't want to waste it, so I kept eating it. I gave Tim a few spoonfuls and he responds, "Oh my God! It's like the lavender is punching me in the mouth!" I don't know how, but we managed to finish the little cup.

About twenty minutes later (maybe not even that long), we had to stop by Home Depot on the way home. Seriously, I could barely keep my eyes open! I was in a daze the entire time. Tim kept asking me if I was going to be okay. I replied with, "I just reeeeeally need a nap!"

Needless to say, I got a good birthday nap as soon as we got back home. About an hour later, I think I had just about fully recovered from my lavender gelato mishap.

 I think next time, maybe I'll go with Sea Salt and Caramel.




No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...